Jul 27, 2009

WESTON JOINS CARDINAL SQUAD




Monday afternoon saw Coach Holley’s latest recruit become a William Jewell Cardinal as he signed his letter of intent. Chris Weston, the ’07 starting point guard for the Jays, has committed to come back to Liberty to complete his collegiate career. Chris, along with his parents, teammates, coaches, and WJC faculty, is transferring from North Arkansas JUCO and Maple Woods. He will be a sophomore and have three seasons to be a Cardinal.
Why did you choose WJC?
CW: After leaving North Ark, I was back in Liberty and would come to Jewell to play in their open gyms. I expressed interest in trying to play here and I had some good talks with Coach Holley. One thing led to another and here I am.
What’s it going to be like playing with Nick Larson again?
CW: It’s going to be a lot of fun. Nick and I had success in high school and I wanted to play with him in college. He went to a couple of schools and I explored options to join him. I’m just real happy that we’re here together.
What’s one emotion you’re feeling now?
CW: I’m very anxious. I’m ready to go…ready to get started and go prove myself at this level.
What are your goals for yourself?
CW: I want to start. I know I have a lot of work to do, but I’m willing to do whatever it takes to earn the spot. Whether it’s play great defense, make a three, set a pick, I’ll do my best.
What are your team goals this season?
CW: I want to make it a long way in the national tourney. I watched their tournament games and I think we have the tools to make it further this next season. I hope we can pack the Mabee Center for our games this season. We’re going to be fun to watch so I hope people will come to support us.
What are you going to major in?
CW: I’m going to major in business. I’ve got all my classes set up. The people here have been great in helping me get organized with my courses.
Anything else you’d like to add?
CW: It’s going to be great to play in Liberty again. Not only is it going to be nice to play in front of my family and friends, just playing in my hometown, where I had a great high school experience, is going to be great.